NCC apologizes and removes portrait that offends Francophones

That in a nutshell (where else?) is incorrect.

For your benefit and my overwhelming tolerance, I will post it again, the definition of an anglophone.

In Canada, and especially in Quebec, the term "anglophone" or the abbreviation "anglo" is widely used to designate someone whose native language is English.

See if you can find a link that supports your own private personal definition.....

So, an Anglophone is someone whose native language is English...END OF STORY...there is no further definition relating to a bilingual Anglophone or anything else.

That part is all in your head to justify that it is permissible to label an Anglophone a bilingual Anglophone.

That person now becomes a bilingual person or simply bilingual, nothing more , nothing less.

Stop trying to glorify the status of an Anglophone or Francophone by adding 'bilingual' to it, which is wrong by your own definition.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying a person who learned english as the first language is an Anglophone?

We will use Dancer's definition of anglophone:

In Canada, and especially in Quebec, the term "anglophone" or the abbreviation "anglo" is widely used to designate someone whose native language is English.
But if they were to learn French , say in their late teens they would no longer be an Anglophone?

That has got nothing to do with the word anglophone.

A French speaking person in Quebec (primarily a French speaking province) would not be called a francophone but a Frenchman or Frenchwoman or simply French or French speaking person, who if they wish can learn English to their hearts content.

But a Frenchman in a primarily English speaking province would be called a francophone.

An English speaking person in in a primarily French speaking Quebec would be called an anglophone.

An English speaking person in a primarily English speaking province would be called an Englishman or Englishwoman or simply English or English speaking, who if they wish can learn French to their hearts content.

If you speak both languages English and French, you would be simply bilingual or a bilingual speaking person.

We will use Dancer's definition of anglophone:

That has got nothing to do with the word anglophone.

A French speaking person in Quebec (primarily a French speaking province) would not be called a francophone but a Frenchman or Frenchwoman or simply French or French speaking person, who if they wish can learn English to their hearts content.

But a Frenchman in a primarily English speaking province would be called a francophone.

An English speaking person in in a primarily French speaking Quebec would be called an anglophone.

An English speaking person in a primarily English speaking province would be called an Englishman or Englishwoman or simply English or English speaking, who if they wish can learn French to their hearts content.

If you speak both languages English and French, you would be simply bilingual or a bilingual speaking person.

Leafless, if you look at Canadian census data, there is no such thing as a "frenchman" or an "englishman". What we find are francophones, anglophones or allophones. It makes no difference where you reside.

We are all categorized according to our declared mother tongue. A second or third language is a bonus.

I'm francophone because my mother tongue is French yet I am more proficient in the English language than the French language. This is often the case, especially here in the National Capital Region. Yet, I still describe myself as francophone.

Whether I reside in Quebec or in Alberta, I'm a francophone because my mother tongue is French. I think the same is true of anglophones and allophones.

I'm francophone because my mother tongue is French yet I am more proficient in the English language than the French language. This is often the case, especially here in the National Capital Region. Yet, I still describe myself as francophone.

You are describing yourself wrongly. A francophone is someone who speaks French....period. Go have the federal government or Quebec change all the dictionary definitions in the world. You are a bilingual speaking Frenchman, a francophone only speaks French.

Local government linguistic definitions relating to census data or federal employment means nothing when you are talking dictionary definitions that are accepted world wide as being linguistically correct.

Whether I reside in Quebec or in Alberta, I'm a francophone because my mother tongue is French. I think the same is true of anglophones and allophones.

Wrong again.

You are a Frenchman in Quebec and a francophone outside of Quebec or if you are capable of speaking the English language outside of Quebec, you are a bilingual Frenchman.

The New Lexicon Websters Dictionary definition of a Francophone is " one who habitually speaks French while residing in an area where a different language is spoken.

In your case if your mother tongue is French means you are French speaking...right.

In your case if your mother tongue is French means you are French speaking...right.

Not quite. Not only am I French speaking, I am also English speaking. That makes me bilingual French and English.

Come on leafless. You're playing games with semantics. I'm a francophone with a knowledge of a second language, to wit English, pure and simple.

Not quite. Not only am I French speaking, I am also English speaking. That makes me bilingual French and English.

You might also be English speaking that but does NOT apply to the definiton of 'francophone'.

If you can speak English and French fluently, that makes you a bilingual French Canadian or simply a blingual person.

Come on leafless. You're playing games with semantics. I'm a francophone with a knowledge of a second language, to wit English, pure and simple.

I am not playing games with semantics and if anyone is, you are.

You just refuse to understand and use words accordingly that apply to their meanings or definitions.

I just find your definition is not mainstream. No more no less.

Your definition of 'mainstream' is being a lackey to the 'politically correct' versions of federal/Quebec definitions of meanings to words that already have official meanings that are recognized world wide.

Lord Durham was right that Quebcers do not have a culture or history stemming from the existence of a real country with the proof being with the feds and Quebec changing the meanings of words to accommodate Quebec's 'no history or culture'.

• 2 weeks later...
Your definition of 'mainstream' is being a lackey to the 'politically correct' versions of federal/Quebec definitions of meanings to words that already have official meanings that are recognized world wide.

Lord Durham was right that Quebcers do not have a culture or history stemming from the existence of a real country with the proof being with the feds and Quebec changing the meanings of words to accommodate Quebec's 'no history or culture'.

And the proof is in the pudding with the NCC, playing politics, excluded the face of Lord Durham from the Sparks Street Mall.

The National Capital Commission yesterday banished the face of Lord Durham from the Sparks Street Mall for good.

The 19th-century governor's picture had been displayed on a panel commemorating the 150th anniversary of Ottawa's selection as the capital, but the panel was taken down to be revised after people complained that it glorified an aristocrat who threatened the survival of the French language and culture.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/s...51-dda722306005

To bad Lord Durhams recommendation failed, which was:

The freedoms granted to the French Canadians under the Royal Proclamation of 1763 and the Quebec Act of 1774 should also be rescinded; according to Lord Durham this would eliminate the possibility of future rebellions. The French Canadians did not necessarily have to give up their religion and language entirely, but it could not be protected at the expense of what Durham considered a more progressive British culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Report_on_the..._America_(1839)

If Durhams recommendations succeeded Canada would have not have the English/French conflicts we have to-day with everyone in Canada speaking English in probably a more advanced society then we currently have.

Most Quebecers do not realize that it was the 'Quebec Act' that partly legitimized their culture, a culture that did not exist prior to that, since France gave away all rights to the British from the previous French North America.

Edited by Leafless

Oh please, arguing that Lord Durham's picture ought not to have taken down is not hatred, nor is it or should it ever be illiegal.

If we had an English media interested in such things I'm willing to bet they could look into the past sayings of virtually every French Canadian politician who ever lived and find insulting things said about Anglophones.

But no one would care about that. Anglos tend to be a lot more mature than Francophones, who get upset about almost anything they can perceive as an insult.