Canada's Federal Ndp

'The NDP Secret weapon'

is the title of an article in yesterday's Globe and Mail, Canada's most wide-read newspaper. It is written by MADELAINE DROHAN and is on page A19:

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/Articl...O29//?query=ndp

The NDP party may actually turn out to be the surprise of the next federal election.

To comprehend why I am suggesting this, difficult to grasp idea, please read the above analysis in the Globe and Mail.

Also please review the report

'The New Balance Sheet: Corporate Profits and Responsibility in the 21st Century'

at the Canadian Democracy and Corporate Accountability Commission website:

http://www.corporate-accountability.ca.

which is alluded to in the Globe and mail article.

I remember when Ed Broadbent was announcing his candidacy for the NDP in the riding of Ottawa Centre, and a reporter mentioned that he was 2 years older than Prime Minister Paul Martin.

Mr Broadbent's response was yes, he was 2 years older in age, and twenty years younger in ideas.

After reading the above article and report I think Mr broadbent has a point.

Prime Minister Paul Martin has just cost the Liberals Ottawa Centre.

With his gift to his buddies, Martin has just cut loose Richard Mahoney, an Ottawa lawyer and longtime confident of the prime minister, who is his candidate in Ottawa Centre.

Many civil servants live in the riding, which encompases Parliament Hill. Martin froze their wages immediately upon becoming prime minister, and when the election takes place it will be payback time. This contrast in treatment won't be lost on our civil servants. Between now and election time, look for Martin to somehow try and lift the freeze, probably secretly, in an attempt to save the seat, but it will be too late.

If Ed Broadbent secures the NDP nomination in Ottawa Centre, he will win.

'Raises could boost top aides' salaries above those of MPs'

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/Art...TPTechInvestor/

'One former executive assistant doesn't buy Mr. Lague's defence of the salary increases, saying it was also his job, and that of others in his position, to talk to parliamentary secretaries, meet with MPs and deal with committees.

"There's no new tasks, and who did they think used to deal with committees?"'

NDP are sure on a roll today. First Pierre Ducasse from Sept-Isles, announcing that he is running in Manicougan, Quebec (Mulroney's old riding), and now this announcement about Terry Kelly from Nova Scotia:

'East Coast singer seeks federal NDP nomination'

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/stories/singpol050104

'Blind since the age of two, Kelly has made a name for himself as a musician and as an athlete. In addition to sharing the stage with artists such as The Rankin Family, Rita MacNeil and Ray Charles, and performing for Queen Elizabeth, he represented Canada at the 1980 Paralympics and was the third blind person in the world to run a mile in under five minutes. Kelly holds honorary doctorates from Saint Mary's University and the University of King's College, and was invested with the Order of Canada in January 2003'

2000 election results:

Dartmouth (NDP 2,028)

xWendy Lill NDP 13,584

Bernie Boudreau LIB 12,407

Tom McInnis PC 8,085

Jordi Morgan CA 3,282

Charles Spurr ML 85

1997 election results:

Dartmouth (Lib 12,619)

Wendy Lill NDP 12,270

Michael Savage Lib 10,257

Rob McCleave PC 10,181

John Millar Cody Ref 4,532

Cliff Williams Ind 431

Claude Viau NL 160

How nice it would be to rid the House of Commons of its overabundance of lawyers. :rolleyes:

Edited by maplesyrup

'Canada should say no to U.S. missile-defence plans, says NDP Leader Layton'

National Post Canadian Press

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpos...4e-f6f42b0a2d67

'Layton said the proposed system won't work, would be frighteningly expensive and destabilize the international situation.

He said he believes Canada would be on the hook for billions of dollars should it join the plan.'

I agree with Mr Layton.

Why is Canada's new Defence Minister trying to mislead Canadians about such a serious issue?

First of all, let's renogitiate these trade deals which are ripping the guts out of our country.

Another shift to the right by Paul Martin, CEO of Canada.

Edited by maplesyrup

for those who dont know, I am a... somewhat important person in the NDP

I think Canadians want change, and whoever can get some real momentum going may end up with 80 more seats then they currently have. I dont know if the tories can do it, but I do have faith the NDP can.

We may have 83 ridings by the end of this (if my prediction holds true)

lets keep our fingers crossed, eh? B)

Don't be too harsh on the CBC folks. It's rare for them, or Canadians for that matter, to have other parties besides the Liberals, forming the Canadian government.

So, if some of their material comes out a bit one-sided, like the follwing article by Larry Zolf, it's understandable. The Liberals are in power so much, it's hard for the people around them to not think they are the only game in town.

'Website wars: Layton vs. Martin'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_zolf/20040114.html

''When Martin began to show some signs of the difficulty in getting two cents a gallon of federal gas tax to the cities, the media quote Jack Layton, former city councillor and one-time president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, as saying Martin was "stalling." Layton noted that Martin had campaigned on that promise and should have been "ready to roll out his plans immediately upon his coronation last month."'

Edited by maplesyrup

'NDP courting Sheila Copps to switch parties, run for New Democrats'

http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...114/CPN/6669014

'The former cabinet minister and two-time leadership contender spoke Wednesday with NDP Leader Jack Layton and later refused to rule out the possibility of switching to the New Democrats. "I've always figured when a door closes another door opens, and I wouldn't rule anything out in politics," Copps said in an interview.'

Edited by maplesyrup

This is the one of the many reasons why Ed Broadbent, if he wins the party nomination, is going to easily win his seat in Ottawa Cenrtre for the NDP.

'Civil servants' union vows to fight Martin cuts'

-from Globe and Mail

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/...Story/National/

'The president of a union representing 49,000 civil servants has changed his mind about seeking a nomination as a Liberal candidate in the next federal election because of cuts to the public service made by Prime Minister Paul Martin.'

Edited by maplesyrup

"I've always figured when a door closes another door opens, and I wouldn't rule anything out in politics," Copps said in an interview.'

I liked the good old days when idiots knew what clan they belonged to. Now with all these snakes interbreeding it's too hard to identify the real smelly ones from the ones that just suck on manure.

Not that fatso is a snake, just that she looks like a ship deserting a sinking rat.

'NDP open doors to frustrated Liberals'

CP

Ottawa Citizen

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen...e9-33b26b84b53b

'Sheila Copps's interest in the federal New Democrats demonstrates just how conservative Prime Minister Paul Martin's Liberals have become, NDP Leader Jack Layton said Thursday.

Layton threw the door open to frustrated Liberals and red Tories who he said are becoming disillusioned with what he called the right-wing drift of Canadian politics, particularly under the Martin government.

"I want to throw the doors of the NDP wide open to progressives all over Canada,'' Layton said.'

'"People who believe that Paul Martin's conservative choices are taking the Liberal party and Canada in the wrong direction.... It's a corporate drift away from Canadian values.'''

'Layton said he has also spoken with veteran Toronto Liberal MP Charles Caccia, a Copps supporter who is said to be saddened by what's happened in his own party.'

The NDP are having their nomination meeting this evening in Ottawa Centre.

I like his opponent, however I hope former MP and NDP leader Ed Broadbent wins.

When Broadbent was leader of the NDP, they had the highest number of seats they have ever held.

At one time during his leadership Broadbent was the most popular political leader in Canada.

One of Broadbent's strengths is in areas of corporate responsibility - very much in tune with the honesty issues discovered in the recent Leger Marketing polling, as discussed in the Canada Election Issue - Gay Rights thread.

Broadbent's comeback is a real bonus for the NDP.

'Broadbent wins Ottawa NDP nomination'

'Meeting marks road to political comeback'

http://www.torontostar.com/NA, App/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1074639735455&call_pageid=968332188492&col=9687058990

Broadbent, in a speech to a packed room, prior to the results of the vote being released stated the following:

-the NDP will elect the largest number ever in the next election (currently 14)

'Forty to 50 NDP MPs would turn the "Liberals upside down," he said. "Fifty to 100 would turn Canada rightside up."'

- in last 10 years in Canada:

poverty increased

affordable housing gone down

tuition fees more than doubled

hospital waiting lists increased

rich getting bigger slice of the pie

-never had to happen

-Liberals cut social programs to balance budget & never returned the funds with the surpluses

Ed Broadbent certainly has a different set of values than Paul Martin.

Sure is gonna be an interesting election... best one in my memory. We've got the NDP trying to de-radicalize, same with the new conservatives, we've got big names coming to and coming back to politics... then there's the Liberals, whose main goal will be to hang on amidst a storm of new faces and ideas... and some old faces with new ideas.

Most elections in my lifetime have been landslides for one side or another, where the party arriving in power was the only viable option. Finally, there's more than one party to vote for. Lovin' it B)

Richard Mahoney, Martin's buddy is panicing. He thought he was just going to walk into a seat and probably a cabinet post in the House of Commons by winning in Ottawa Centre. Mahoney has already started spending the big bucks in advertising but it won't wash. When this race is over Broadbent will have won by a two to one margin as Canadians are longing to have some people with integrity returned to Parliament.

'Broadbent wins Ottawa NDP nomination on road to political comeback'

by STEPHEN THORNE

Canadian Press

http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id...60-b4c86eaae28e

'The riding, which extends south from Parliament Hill and has been held by the Liberals since they took it from the NDP in 1988, blends university students, working-class families, new Canadians and bureaucrats.

Mahoney is expected to bring the full force of the Martin machine to his campaign.

NDP Leader Jack Layton, who took over the party last year bolstered in part by Broadbent's endorsement during a heated leadership race, has predicted the former leader's return will boost the party's profile and fortunes.

Canadians "feel Ed's voice in national politics is what we need today," Layton said after Tuesday's vote.

Broadbent has accused Martin and his Liberals of becoming as "neo-conservative" a force as the new Conservative Party of Canada.'