"christian scammers/scandals abound"

kuzadd

If you type in the Ontario Association of Food banks you will find that over 90% of them are run by the local communtiy. There are a few run by the Salvation Army. I helped set up our bank 20 years ago and am still a participating member. We have a duly elected Board of Governors and are under no church.

In the first set (Acton to Fort Erie (39) ) 7 out of 39 are faith based....

Alexandria St. Vincent Food Bank

Alliston Good Shepherd Food Bank

Bracebridge Manna Food Bank

Collingwood Salvation Army Food Bank

Cornwall AGAPE Centre

Dunnville Salvation Army Food Bank

Campbellford Fare Share

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornwall AGAPE Centre

Campbellford Fare Share

And those are only the Food banks. The outreach programs, the shelters, charities of all description...most of them are faith-based to some degree. Mind you, I haven't seen many atheist organizations setting up charities...

Edited by ScottSA

And those are only the Food banks. The outreach programs, the shelters, charities of all description...most of them are faith-based to some degree. Mind you, I haven't seen many atheist organizations setting up charities...

Well that's not fair ..you are not likely to find the Atheist Hospice Of Portland (AHOP).....although there are secular organisations, you can bet your bottom dollar that many of the foot soldiers in the trenches are not atheists at all......

But lets throw out the baby wity the bath water.....TAX them all the church run outreach programmes and see which ones can still aid Canadian poor.....

Just wanted to note here that I made a mistake in my arguments against Mithraism and I wanted to correct it. The correction however does not take away from the strenght of my position and may add to it. The reason I want to correct it is so that my info is more reliable.

I think in the original thread on this topic I may have done a better job, but in the last few days I mentioned that there was nothing in all this wealth of Mithraic texts to suggest these theories about the similarities. I was arguing from memory of my previous arguments, which I must confess is not that good. The problem with this is that there is no wealth of Mithraic texts.

Serious researchers deny the claims of these ties, because as I have said over and over, it requires one to actually reinvent Mithraism out of nothing.

Edited by jefferiah

Cornwall AGAPE Centre

Campbellford Fare Share

And we're not even talking about global aid yet.

If I remember correctly Margrace was crusading for Africa in one of the old threads. Christian Missions have programs for leprosy and poverty in other remote places (one of which is Africa).

Btw, they showed an Atheist Covention in the news only recently. They showed the numerous t-shirts they're selling in that convention. One thing that struck me....all the logos and messages on the various t-shirts were all mocks and negative attacks on Christianity. And only Christianity!

I must say this Atheist Convention could very well be called, "The Anti-Christian Movement."

I haven't seen very many anti-athiest threads since I have joined MLW.

There hasn't been any that I can remember. The only threads that would seem anti-atheist are responses or defenses from some Christians making a stance against atheists aggressively attacking and mocking their religion. Because usually, it is the Christian religion that they are attacking.

Of late, they seem to try to include "other religions" and every now and then give a lip service of generalizing all religions.....I suspect, just so it wouldn't be said they are anti-Christians only.

The news clip on that convention (somewhere in the States) showed all these paraphernalias they were selling or wearing....all messages shown were just solely anti-Christianity.

It makes me think that a lot of these so-called atheists are not atheists in the true sense of the word. Only one or two among our posters here are somehow I'd say consistently proving to be true atheist. Melanie is one I'd believe to be a true atheist.

Most are just disgruntled or dis-illusioned former Christians....still having their own personal issues. I could sense their bitterness and angst through the vehemence and hostility. Their views are driven by strong emotions. It leaves me an impression that somehow, they just couldn't simply let go.

Their loud uncalled-for insults and mocks only point out to the adage that.... they seem to protest too much.

Edited by betsy